Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Adjusting to Normalcy

Even though we were only in Germany for a few months, in the past 3 years, we have only spent about 6 months in the US. When we first returned from Iraq last summer, life was anything but normal. Chris took a few months off from work to enjoy the summer, so I too felt justified in taking time off from my domestic duties. I spent very little time doing anything that I did not WANT to do. I spent most of my time in my yard and at my pool. We ate out - a LOT and I did no major cooking.
Now - it is back to reality. I have spent almost all of my waking hours (with the exception of my short trip) doing "domestic" stuff. Now, lets just set the record straight.... I have never been, never will be, and have never claimed to be a Martha Stewart wannabe. I have never been one of those women who enjoy watching Rachel Ray or Emeral Live. It's just NOT me..... I have tried to be a "domestic goddess" in the past, but get easily bored. I have had my moments when I was extremely excited about the purchase of a Downey Ball or new vacuum cleaner - but for the most part - I would much rather be doing about anything but housework. I have done so much cleaning, organizing and redecorating that I fear that I am becoming more like a "house wife". Not that it is a bad thing, but I know me and know how quickly I will bore of it.

I am now, on a daily basis - cleaning, packing my sweathearts lunch, ironing his clothes, and I have started cooking again. I have to admit that I am amazed at how much I have forgotten in the past three years. For instance... I totally forgot how much spelt grows when you cook it..... I could not remember if I had to cook the potatoes before putting them in soup (thanks Mom for not laughing too hard when I called to ask)....oh - and most importantly.... I forgot which little thingey you pull on your kitchen aid mixer to unlock it. I THOUGHT I was unlocking mine, but totally freaked out when the beater thingey started spinning around in the bowl with the other attachements in there. I guess I should not have plugged it in first, huh? I also have seemed to lose my touch with my infamous chicken salad. I made some today, and could not remember what I usually put in it. I obviously left something out, because it does not taste nearly as good as it used to.

We are both adjusting to going grocery shopping. WOW! The prices! I have to admit, I miss going to the chow hall and eating - and NOT worrying about how much food costs...

Another thing that is taking a bit of adjusting is driving. Can I just say that I miss the Autobahn? The Autobahn is just so much smoother than the interstates here. Not to mention, you do not have all those agressive drivers snaking in and out of the traffic there like you do here. I have to admit, that I think the Autobahn is much safer than our interstates!

Chris and I are not the only ones adjusting.... Our sweet TaiChi dog is adjusting to not only having us home, but having to share us with the kitty. She is adjusting quite well, but still has some jealousy issues. Anytime we see her acting a little jealous, we just dote lots of love on her and she is fine.

All in all, I think we are quickly adjusting to "normalcy". But then again, what is "normal"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a few good chuckles from this one! Good luck with the new cat. Hopefully it won't take too long before they are BFF! When we introduced our cat to another it took a week of hissing and growling before they were ok with being in the same room!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dinks,

Just stopping by to say welcome back and missed you in CE....because I've been MIA on CE

Renee said...

What beautiful pictures you have on your blog! Thanks for sharing them :)