Saturday, May 10, 2008

We have Fish! Finally!







The weekend I went to pick up my new car, Chris decided to go ahead and set our fish tank up. It is something we have procrastinated for years (every since we left VA). Now that we are back in Alabama for good - setting up the tank is kind of symbolic to us being permantly back. This has been a learning experience for us - because we have only had freshwater tanks before. We have never had saltwater tanks. One of the big things we have learned is that saltwater tanks are much more expensive than freshwater. Also, you have to get the entire ecosystem going on the saltwater tanks before you actually add the fish. We have been taking water samples every weekend to Coral Reef Aquatics (http://www.coralreefaquatics.com/). FINALLY - this weekend - they said we were ready for fish! We got some coral, 10 little hermit crabs, and 4 fish. I picked out two pretty blue fish with yellow tails (I forget what type of fish they all are). I named mine Forrest and Bubba. Chris picked out a pretty silverish blue fish. When I said she was the color of Marge Simpson's hair, Chris decided to name her Marge. The fourth fish was chosen by Chris - it is kind of oblong and blue and yellow. Chris named it Zipper because it zips in and out of the reef. We will get another fish in a couple weeks (a maroon and gold clown fish) and our final fish (a yellow tang) a little later. The guys at the fish store are awesome - and very patient with us and our lack of knowledge. They are not just there to sell fish - they actually want to help you set up your saltwater tank to be successful. It is a great place if anyone decides to start a saltwater tank. Anyway - our reef tank is coming along and pretty exciting to see it progress. Duchess is really enjoying watching the fish. She sits on her little kitty tower and watches the fishies.








It has actually been a very good day. I got the lawn mowed and two more of my flower beds weeded - well, they are weeded as well as I can weed (I am sure I pulled some things that are not weeds and left some that are - but at least it looks better).

For the last 3 years - weekends have not been much different than any other day - but now that Chris is working a regular job with regular office hours - I love the weekends.

1 comment:

danakat said...

I am so excited to see the new fishies and love that kitty. The girls are going to want to come over...soon!