Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Just a housewife

Yesterday while signing in at the diagnostic center, the receptionist asked me "Are you just a housewife?" I was so shocked by the question that I could barely utter the word "yes". I am usually quick with a cute little comeback with comments and questions that I find a little irritating and/or offensive - like maybe say "For now I am just a house wife, but I have aspirations of being a receptionist just like you" I know, I know - not really kind - but the way I felt like I was not as good as her because SHE worked.... I have to admit, I was pretty much speechless. But, yeah, I guess I am "just" a house wife. I have not worked a "job" for a year now. This is by choice - I feel I paid my dues the 20 months I was in Iraq. Not to mention the time Chris finished school and I solely supported us on my income alone. I like to think of myself as a "kept woman" - but being referred to as "just a housewife" really bothered me. I may be "just a house wife" but I make sure my husband has a nice clean, pressed shirt to wear every morning, he gets a decent breakfast, I make him really good lunches, I make sure he has dinner every night, I keep the house clean, I keep the lawn mowed, I keep the animals clean and fed, I do most of the household chores.... but.... I am "just a housewife". For some reason that makes me feel less of a person - less important - less qualified - a peon - a peasant - all kinds of less than attractive words come to my mind when I think of myself as "just a house wife". After all, I am not married to a HOUSE, I am married to a wonderful, generous, hardworking man. I have on many times been referred to as "Chris's wife" - but I am usually quick to quip back - "no, he is my husband". I am sure that it makes no sense to people when I do that - but I am just trying to reiterated that I am ME and I was me before I met and married Chris. I am Sandy. Although I am married to Chris and happy to be his wife - I prefer to be referred as "Sandy" - not Chris's wife and definately NOT just house wife.
So, while so much craziness is going on in the world around me, I will take a few minutes to ponder over and stew in my mind the thought that many people refer to me as "just a housewife". Now.... back to reality..... (after all, I do have clothes to launder, dishes to wash, meals to cook, cookies to bake .... ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, never liked the "housewife" title. I prefer a "stay at home Goddess" or something or other! :)

I too hate it when people refer to me as Tyson's wife, because my mama didn't give me a name for nothin'! Now if they'd put your name in there with it...not as bad! ;)