Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Hills are Alive.... in Austria!



OK - so, I had NEVER seen the Sound of Music until I came to Germany. We actually even own the video, yet I had never watched it. Chris talked me in to watching it for my first time while in Stuttgart. I actually have watched it 4 times in the past 2 months! Now, for me, that says a lot. I am not one to watch a movie more than once. I think I can count on one hand the number of movies I like to watch over again. I absolutely Loved the Sound of Music! What a neat story! Well, coming to Austria without going on a Sound of Music tour is sort of like going to Paris and not seeing the Eifel Tower. So Chris and I went on the Sound of Music tour. As if I was not already singing all of the songs enough - now, I was surrounded by people who were also singing the songs - going to places where EVERYONE was singing and dancing. It was so much fun! We hopped up and down the steps, danced around the fountain and patted the head on the dwarf just like the von Trapp children did when they sang "Do Re Mi" We went to the cathedral where Maria married the captain. We saw the lake where Maria and the children capsized their boat, saw the tree lined road where the children were hanging from trees and even danced in front of the gazebo where they sang the song "I am 16 going on 17". It was fun to see so many people being care free and dancing and singing. It was kind of like a Grateful Dead concert only without all of the happy pills - lol. I had the best time - it was a really neat tour. The next day we went to visit the birthplace as well as the childhood home of Mozart. I guess I am not cultured enough, because to me, that was not nearly as much fun as the Sound of Music tour! We also got to go visit Chris' grandmother that he has never met. She lives in Austria - about 1 hour from Salzburg. We had a wonderful time getting to know her and learning more about Chris' grandfather whom he never met before his death. It was a fabulous trip!

No comments: