Monday, March 31, 2008

The Highs and Lows of Switzerland







The highs......


Every since I read about the scenic snow trains, I have wanted to go on one. I went to Switzerland on a USO tour - but we were not near where the snow trains depart from. It is rather expensive for a roundtrip ticket, so I was thinking I would not get to go....but.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Since I will be traveling home on my birthday we celebrated it early. We took the Snow Train from Chur Switzerland to Tirano Italy and back again. It was AMAZING! I love the snow and I love trains - so Chris decided to humor me and pretend to be interested. He admitted that the first half hour of our 4+ hour journey to Italy, he was thinking it would be a long trip - but then as we climbed further in to the Alps - the beauty captivated him! Something I noticed on the trip is that the Swiss seem to like to add H's to their words. Now, wouldn't you think that Chur is pronouced similar to Chair - you know - the C + H together - make the ch sound? Well, nope, we quickly learned that it is pronounced Kerr (like the canning jars). I wondered why they added the H - but then I realized that many of the towns in Switzerland have the H added to T, C or S and it is just silent. Why on earth add the extra letter? I am guessing it is just to confuse the Americans... Anyway - once we arrived in Italy, we ate outside on the patio of a nice itallian restaurant, and then took the snow train back to Chur. I will say that the snow train was a marvelous experience and if you love snow and seeing pretty things - you would love to take a ride on the Snow Train! We saw skiers, snowboarders and snow kiters. It looked like so much fun! While on the train, I had a little bit of fun with a man that snored the entire time... not sure why he wasted his money to take a nap - but to each his own. I giggled so much at his loud snoring. There was a little french lady sitting near us - we could not understand much of what each other were saying - but we sure did have fun giggling at the snoring man! I decided to take a a little video of him, and before I knew it - the entire train was chuckling - lol. It was pretty funny, but sad about that man wasting his money.


The lows....


As I was in the hotel checking out and paying our bill, ready to leave Switzerland to go to Austria, Chris was out taking a few last minute pictures.... and getting his wallet stolen. Yep - thats right... we are thousands and thousands of miles from home - and someone steals Chris' wallet! When the police were called, they refused to come out. They said they do not come out for that. I guess thats why they claim not to have much reported crime - they do not allow you to report it! I guess it is true that they are still a neutral country - neutral with thieves too....

So, needless to say, we had lots of fun cancelling credit cards and all the fun that comes with a stolen wallet. And Chris will have even more fun when he returns home - standing in line to get a new license. Poor Chris..... but at least I had a good "early" birthday :)


No comments: