Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas


OK - I admit it - I am usually the Grinch in the family. I am the one who usually says Bah Humbug all season long. I am the one whose idea of decorations is to spell out bah humbug in lights. I am the one that does not want to be bothered with decorations or baking. But not this year - no - this year I am being just as festive as anyone else. Nope - this year it is not me..... this year, the Grinch award goes to....... drum roll please....... PAUPER! Yep the newest member of our family - and the most mischievious member of our family might I add. Our poor little Christmas tree that I was so excited about.... well, it is kind of leaning to one side now, and the ornaments..... well, there are still some on the top of the tree - but i have given up replacing the ones on the bottom portion of the tree. Pauper just cannot seem to keep her paws off the tree.... OR the gifts! She has chewed and scratched the packages under the tree non stop. If the door is not shut to the TV room - she is going to be in there - by the tree, under the tree, in the tree, or on the tree. She is quite the stinker. I tried to redirect her to her christmas stocking. It kept her interest for a while. But finally she gave up. I strategically placed the toys with the bells at the bottom of the stocking (which is actually shaped like a fish) so that she could not get to them. She tries. She tries hard. But so far she has been unsuccessful. I am sure that those people who go to extremes to have the beautiful perfect tree and decorations would cringe at the thought of my curious little kitty pulling off all the ornaments and making the tree less than perfect. But not me. I find a little humor in it. I find humor in it because it is not me this year who has the title of Grinch. It is not me this year who is getting in to the presents before Christmas day. This year - I can sit back and relish in the thought that I am actually in the Christmas spirit - but not SO in to the Christmas spirit that I obsess over how the tree looks - as long as it brings joy - I am happy. And I am pretty sure that Pauper is enjoying that tree......

No comments: