Monday, September 8, 2008

Roller Derby? Me?

I remember, as a kid and on in to my teen years, sitting on the sofa with my Grandpa watching Roller Derby. I loved to watch the Roller Derby as a kid. I would go to the skating rink often and I must confess, I never fantasized about being a figure skater.... I only fantasized about being in the Roller Derby. I remember finding "Roller Jams" on TV after Chris and I were married. I would sneak and watch Roller Jams when it came on - trying to hide that little secret from Chris. But one time I did not get the channel changed fast enough and he caught me watching. I expected to get harassed because of my hate of WWE and the barbaric nature of it -but no - Chris sat down and watched it with me. I am not sure why Roller Jams stopped coming on TV, but it was very much missed by me. The other day Chris and I were talking about skating and I brought up the Roller Derby again. It got me curious and I did a quick Google search to see if there were any roller derby teams anymore. To my surprise - it seems to be the fastest growing sport in the world! And can you believe it --- HUNTSVILLE has their very own derby team! The Dixie Derby Girls (Click on the "Roller Derby? Me?" Title above to go to their home page). It has made me want to try skating again. If I could get as good as I was as a teenager I would try out for the Dixie Derby Girls. Yep - that's right - they are recruiting! So I need to get me a new pair of skates (have no idea what happened to my old pair) and start practicing. Anybody want to go to the rink with me?

No comments: